HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Monday 3 September 2007

A WEEK AWAY IN THE BUSH.

Those of you who know me know that you can take the boy out of the bush but you can't take the bush out of the boy!!! That's why a few mates and I headed "bush" last week when things in the racing world looked pretty grim. I must admit that when the opportunity to book the trip came up a couple of weeks ago, I jumped at the chance and it was both fortunate and unfortunate that the trip away happened to be when things were in such a mess back here.

Last week I flew out to the Northern Territory and met up with a good mate and long time client Ken Whittaker, along with his mate Colin Hounsell, whom I had never met before. We picked up a four wheel drive which was waiting for us at the Darwin airport and after stocking it full of "supplies" we headed out to the middle of nowhere, to a couple of stations owned by another client of mine Colin Crossley. The first station we visited was LONESOME DOVE which is situated on the Roper River near the southern most part of ARNHEM LAND. After a few days of barra fishing and sight seeing we headed back up to Colin's other station, MAINORU STATION, a bit further north and also on the edge of ARNHEM LAND.

There is a lot of history attached to both properties and we all thoroughly enjoyed the "TOUR GUIDE" provided by Colin as he proudly showed off all the improvements he has made to both properties. Between fishing, hunting, drinking, laughing and telling tall stories, I can honestly say I haven't had some much fun in years. We all got on like a house on fire and nobody was exempt from a good shit stir. I am not convinced that my liver was quite ready for the shock of the whole trip but hey, it is important to put it into training for KALGOORLIE!!!

I would have to say that I prefer a bush holiday any day than one spent lounging around a resort in the sun but each to his own I guess. Out of site and mainly out of phone contact suits me fine. The staff are usually glad to see the back of me for a few days. Just to prove that I am not indispensable, the staff managed to keep a good handle of things while I was away and with the three starters on Saturday managed to win one race and run third in the other two. Top job guys!

FOOTNOTE: Colin Hounsell won the barra fishing competition from yours truly with Ken (no fish) a distant third. Yours truly won the hunting competition from Colin Hounsell (one pig) with Ken once again a distant third. Ken did dead heat with Colin Crossley in the VB drinking competition with Hounsell a close third and me a distant last. I killed them all on the red wine drinking finishing a good few bottles ahead of the pack. As I said, You can take the boy out of the bush but you can't take the bush out of the boy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home