HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Sunday 16 September 2007

WEEK ENDS ON HIGH NOTE

The past week has seen some good times and some frustrating times and after what started out as a disappointing day at Kalgoorlie last Sunday with GLAMOURZON, ended yesterday with the win of BLESCAY. In between we also had the first up win of SHAREV along with my HANNANS HANDICAP runner, ROYALE HARVEST, being galloped on and requiring treatment.

In what can be seen by outsiders as a a busy, social and sometimes glamorous life, I can assure everyone that without the joy of winners, the losses and disappointments would soon send most sane people to an early grave. I am sure that is why most trainers really let their hair down after a good day at the races as they fully understand that the next disappointment may only be one runner away.

Even though he didn't win, the run of STRIKEN in race seven was good enough to send me home with a smile on my face. I am sure his next win is not far away.

HOOFNOTE: My smile was short lived. On my way home I received a call from the Stewards, informing me that I had been fined $100 for presenting Striken into the mounting yard without his winkers on. I know. My fault but.... The horses were not walked around the back parade ring for this race as is normally the practice and I was only informed as we walked into the mounting yard. Normally trainers are given the chance to fix things like that when the horses are checked in the back parade ring but due to the small fields and bad weather, few people gathered to inspected the runners in the parade ring. I can't remember the last time something like this happened to me but that doesn't seem to make any difference to the Stewards. I am GUILTY OF AN OFFENCE in their eyes.

Their "GESTAPO STYLE" attitude sure goes a long way to ensuring a happy harmonious working relationship with the industry participants!!!! Considering the horse did race in winkers which were fitted at the barriers, you have to wonder just who was effected by it all. Don't get me wrong. I know they have a job to do and ensuring horses wear the correct gear is one of them. I just wonder about the size of the fine when in actual fact the problem was fixed and could have been fixed earlier had things happened in the normal way or had I been more vigilant. Not to worry. As long as I have ever been involved in the industry, it is not unusual for an "us versus them" attitude to exist. Shame really! Then again, I am sure I will be more careful in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home