HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Sunday 23 July 2006

It's Amazing

What do times and margins mean?

I have always maintained that "form" really is a very simple science to follow. I don’t want to get off the track in this little piece but just to show how one can read to much into facts and figures (statistics), try this one for size.
If I said that a horse in a good Saturday class field, ran the fastest last 600m of the race and that the same horse was beaten only 2.5 lengths, you would have to say it was a pretty good run. Right? If I said a horse ran last in the same race but it was equally as big a run you would probably look at me sideways. Right? Well what if I said that they were one and the same horse?
That was the case yesterday with my horse King Of The Stalls. The reason being, the way the race was run. With no speed early and a sprint to the finish it made it near on impossible for back markers to get home. That is NOT bias! Maybe the run was a bit better than it looked?
What this does is back up my opinion that track BIAS on most W.A. tracks is a load of bull. Now I know this is sure to get me offside with all the form "experts" around the place but it wouldn't be the first time.
As far as I am concerned the biggest factor in deciding the outcome of a race (outside of ability of the horse of course) is the early pace or tempo of the race. This will have a bigger bearing than weight and barrier. There are a number of other things one can throw into the mix but as I said, PACE is the biggest factor. At Ascot, easterly or south west winds also have a huge bearing but usually in conjunction with pace.
My other runner Forward Thrust was found to be shin sore this morning and will go for an immediate spell. He is a horse to follow next preparation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home