HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Friday 18 January 2008

CROWN OF CAITLIN HEADING FOR BETTER THINGS

On Thursday I stepped out the previously unraced 3yo filly CROWN OF CAITLIN in a 1400m maiden at Ascot. The filly arrived at my stables from Victoria about four or five months ago and from the very beginning she has been an easy filly to like. Not only is she a great type but she has a terrific temperament and ability as well.

When she arrived, her part owner, James Mcglew told me that the filly had trialled in Victoria and if possible could we produce her for a first up tilt in W.A. without another trial. I love a challenge nearly as much as I love to back a horse first up so here was the ideal scenario. Only thing we needed to find out was if the filly was good enough. Along the way the filly had continued to please and I was confident that we were on the right track for a first up tilt at Ascot on January 9th over 1000m. It wasn't until her final workout that I realised we may be making a mistake. The filly was working well however she just lacked the dash that I felt she would need for the sprint journey. The day before she was due to start I called the owner to tell him that I had had a change of heart and that we would be waiting another week for a race over 1400m.

I detected a bit of concern in the owners voice and it wasn't until he told me that none of the family had won past 1200m that I realised why. Not to be put off, James agreed to the change of plans and all was now in place. The filly once again worked in great style on the weekend and I was confident of a good result. After jumping from an inside gate the filly quickly took up a forward position and always looked the winner in running. When asked for an effort in the straight she responded well to the urgings from "The Fish" and went to the line to win strongly. The way she won suggests that there may be a few more nice wins in store for this filly in the future. The win proved to be a great result for those who count and very very satisfying.

What the whole episode did tell me is that it is still possible to prepare a horse to win a race and get on at good prices first up if everyone in the camp keeps there mouth shut and the horse is good enough. I have always believed and worked under the principle that the owner is entitled to at least one "FREE HIT" with a horse if it can be so worked. After that the horse is public property.

HOOF NOTE.
After the race whilst sharing a cold beer at the bar with my son Dion and the part owner James Mcglew, I pointed out a few very interesting details to my son. Dion had never before met James. I explained to Dion that when his grandparents came out from Italy in 1952, they spent their first four years in Australia working on the farm owned by James Mcglew's grandparents at Beverley. The property known as SEATON ROSS was owned by Charles Mcglew who was one of the early pioneers in the area. He went on to become well known in the sheep industry as well as becoming a past President of the Royal Agricultural Show. James still runs SEATON ROSS in his "spare time." It took a while for Dion to take in the whole picture and the span of generations involved. Some things are just meant to be!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home