HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Saturday 15 March 2008

THE POWER OF THE PEN

In previous postings on this site I have made mention of my feelings about the quality and workings of most of the racing press in this state. I have also mentioned how aware I am of the power of the press and how the old line about the pen being mightier than the sword, is as true today as it was back in the days of Shakespeare. I know by responding, I risk paying compliment to an article in the paper during the week, penned by our "leading" racing writer. Albeit, that the article written DID NOT CONTAIN ONE WORD UTTERED BY ME as quoted by the journalist. Typical! I would however like to explain the background of my aversion to speaking to the press in recent times.

In recent years I have found that most things written or said about me or my horses have become so far from the truth that it becomes irrelevant giving interviews. At the end of the day, most journalists seem to write what they want not what is said to them. Even if nothing is said they tend to use journalistic licence and write what they want to anyway. Since I have had this web site I have found more and more often that articles I have posted, appear in the press over the next few days. Unfortunately, they appear with enough subtle changes that the article rarely contain the fact and truth with which they were written; yet the journalists still have the gall to write the article as if they had conducted an interview with me.

As much as this may appear to be a "precious" attitude, I can assure you it is not intended that way. Over the years I have had plenty of good publicity from the press and have had an average to good working relationship with them. In more recent times however I have found a complete change in the style of journalism in general and it is not a style I am comfortable with. Perhaps it is me who has been around for to long or maybe our racing writers have been and have become a bit bored with it all. Either way I am happy to do my own thing and not be interviewed while the current style remains.

Now call me cynical but why do I suspect that I will now suffer the backlash of what I have written here. A few years ago at an "in house" function, I made a tongue in cheek comment about the press in this state never letting the truth get in the way of a good story. From that moment on there was an edict issued that I receive nothing but bad press. I wonder whether a similar edict will be re-issued? Has it ever been removed? I guess I should expect it because as I said earlier....... The pen still remains mightier than the sword!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home