HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Sunday 11 January 2009

GUYNO.

ODE TO GUYNO AND THE TEAM!


The carnival was over. The Cup had been run.
It’s time to head home I said to my son.
The next few days, we were all a bit slow.
We had put in so much, with so little to show.

Then Dion kept saying. This horse is so tough.
He’s been around in the Cup, but he’s not had enough.
“I reckon” he said to me, “if you’re as good as you say
You can win the Perth Cup. He may still have his day.”

I said “don’t be stupid. It’s never been done.”
“Your to scared to try” said my smart arse young son.
So the horse flew on home, to the paddock for a break.
While I pondered the thought; The Perth Cup, could we take?

I discussed it with owners and they all agreed.
We would love it to happen, to pull off this deed.
Still I was reluctant though the idea was great.
Were we asking too much of my little mate?

Johnny as usual said it’s all up to you,
Let’s have a go if you think you can do!
Peter said, it would be a great way.
To celebrate the occasion, of Shirley’s birthday.

Still I was reluctant, though the idea was great.
Were we asking too much of my little mate?
Then back to the stables he came quite content.
His time in the paddock you could see was well spent.

His coat looked all shiny, his eye was quite bright
But what of his mind? Would that be alright?
We had no time for test runs, no time for grace.
So onwards and upwards we continued at pace.

He ran in the Cox. A good run was a must.
But he performed below par….in fact he went just!
I was stunned and confused. I could not work it out.
His performance created, nothing but doubt.

So into my old bag of tricks I did look
What could I do that was not by the book?
He had to improve and improve quite a bit.
But his heart rate it told me he was already fit.

I spoke to the crew and I said I’m not fooling.
The last thing to try is some jumps for some schooling.
Sarah and Dion they both all agreed
If it works like we hope it will help him succeed.

So I set up some buckets and rails for the jumping.
They weren’t very high but my heart was thumping.
If he failed, if he stumbled or if the rider should fall?
It was then that I realised it had been a big call.

The last time we jumped him he had a clear round.
Not one of the rails did he knock to the ground
The horse appeared happy his spirit was up.
Now I was confident we could go to the Cup

The pace it was hot and so was the weather.
Up front the main chances went all hell for leather.
While back in the field, somewhere back near the rear,
Were Fishy and Guyno both showing no fear.

I sat in the stand between owner and son.
I looked on amazed as they started their run.
To the outside they came, they came very wide.
No time for excuses, no place to hide.

As they both hit the line its close but I know.
This years Perth Cup has been won by GUYNO.
As we pushed our way down the stairs through the crowd,
His number goes up, we shout out aloud.

Snookie’ first back to the gate bright and early.
Not far behind is Tubby and Shirley.
You can tell by the smile and the look on their faces,
There’s no place on earth like Cup day at the races.

Its not every day that you win a big race.
The effort, the timing, it all has its place.
The trainer, the jockey, the staff, we all dream.
That’s why we all work, so well as a team!

Louie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very very good!
Jec.

12 January 2009 at 10:13 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home