HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Wednesday 2 March 2011

THEY JUST DON'T GET IT DO THEY?

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the one who is out of touch with where things are at in the industry. Maybe old age has crept up quicker than I expected and I am now loosing the plot. Maybe! Or maybe its just more of the same repeating itself.

I refer of course to the announcement today posted on the Perth Racing web site under the headline SUPER SATURDAY PLANNED FOR ASCOT. The story goes on to tell everyone how there will be a Super Saturday of racing in November when the programme will include the Railway Stakes, The Winterbottom Stakes, The W.A. Guineas etc etc. It sounds terrific. Could be the best thing to happen to W.A. racing. Could be but I don't know because apart from what I read, I don't know anything else about it.

What really upsets me is when further on in the story I read where Chairman Ted van Heemst commented "Following consultation with the industry we believe the new programme will attract stronger race fields and deliver an exciting racing proposition for the Western Australian community". There was overwhelming support for the introduction of the Super Saturday". He earlier stated that "The programme offers east coast trainers a range of options and given the time slot will ensure that they have an enhanced opportunity of participating in the Festival of Perth Racing".

What consultation? I haven't been consulted. I am vice president of the W.A. Trainers Association and as a committee we haven't been consulted. I called leading trainer Neville Parnham in Melbourne and he hasn't been consulted. I asked a number of other leading trainers and they haven't been consulted. So who was consulted? Who is the overwhelming support from? Maybe the same ones that usually get consulted when there are major decisions to be made by Perth Racing. Perhaps the same ones that were consulted when the stake money for the 2010 Winterbottom Stakes went from $500,000 to $750,000. But don't worry everyone. I'm sure the Eastern States trainers were probably consulted to see what would suit them!! Don't get me wrong. I am not against the idea. Just the lack of CONSULTATION!

It was only a week or so ago that I posted an article about transparency and keeping people informed. Consultation is supposed to happen before decision making not after press releases. No wonder I am so disappointed once again in the way things have been handled. But hey, what the hell would I know? It would appear that P.R. goes out of its way to get industry participants off side. Or maybe it is only me? Maybe but I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home