HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Friday 16 November 2007

GUYNO FOR THE RAILWAY STAKES.

After tossing the idea around for a number of weeks, I have decided to run smart galloper GUYNO in the Railway Stakes next weekend.

I had always wanted to leave my options open with him and I must admit that my original thoughts were that the 1600m would be to short for him. A number of things have happened along the way to help me change my mind. I must admit that 1600m is as short as I would expect him to be competitive in against top company.

The first thing is that the way things were shaping up with no interstate participation, Guyno could very likely be allotted top weight of 58.0kg in the 2008 Perth Cup. Even if he isn't the best horse nominated at the time of weights, he is likely to have at least 57.0kg at acceptances. In my opinion, the horse is not mature enough to carry that sort of weight over two miles and win. I also feel that the race could spell the end for the horse as has happened to many others in the past.

The next point to consider was that, had the horse raced last week over 2200m, he would have had six races prior to the Cox Stakes, which I consider to be his grand final. Should we then decide to go to the cup he would be past his best. The horse would have had two 2200m races and one 2400m race before the Cox which I consider to be one too many hard runs for him. The horse is not a big robust type and does not take a lot of hard work to keep him at his peak.

After studying the field for the Railway Stakes with no interstate competition, I felt that I could keep the horse fresh enough for the $1,000 000.00 race where he would be racing against horses he has met and raced successfully against in the past. For that reason, a run last weekend over 2200m would have left me between a rock and a hard place. I am happy with the decision I made in consultation with my owners and I look forward to the race. I did win my first Railway with a ISLAND MORN coming back from winning the Fruit 'n' Veg Stakes over 1800m a month earlier and I feel this program suits my horse.

Depending on his performance in the Railway, GUYNO will probably go to the Kingston Town Classic next start followed by the Cox Stakes.

The Stewards inquired last Saturday as to the reason I scratched GUYNO from his engagement that afternoon. I told them that I had changed my mind about which direction I was taking with the horse but had not had the opportunity to discuss the matter with my owners until late on Friday afternoon. When questioned I also confirmed that everything was in order with the horse.

This mornings press stated that the Stewards report listed Guyno's scratching as at "the trainers discretion"' which left punters in the dark. I don't know how much more light I could have shed on the situation. Perhaps if people stop trying to read a hidden agenda into everything they may have more time to concentrate on more important issues.The story goes on to say that "Luciani refused to speak to the media". Is there any bloody wonder!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home