HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Monday 5 October 2009

GUYNO BACK IN MELBOURNE.

On Saturday morning while I had a few hours to fill I posted an article on this site about the day ahead at Randwick for GUYNO and his connections. At the time I was still in a half decent mood however this changed dramatically as the afternoon wore on.

I have to say that after putting in so many months of planning and taking in to account the many dollars spent by the connections to get the horse to Sydney, I have never been as disappointed in the way a day panned out as I was on Saturday. I am not disappointed in the effort of my horse or anyone involved with him, just the way circumstances occurred. If anything I am disappointed that I didn't make the hard decision and scratch the horse half way through the afternoon when the track became a bog.

A bog is probably the best way of describing, what 24 hours earlier looked a track made to order for us. On Thursday night it was hot weather and the track was firm and fast. Friday was cooler but the track was still firm. What a difference a day makes! (I think someone sung a song with a similar name). This is not a case of sour grapes but simply telling it how it was and I have to say that what took place on Saturday at Randwick was not racing but something more akin to mud wrestling. I have never ever seen a track anything like it before and I can confidently say that I will never take part in the likes again. I know, there were some who probably relished the conditions and are now group one winners however I for one will never ask one of my horses to compete in such conditions ever again.

Walking the track that morning I knew we were in trouble but at no stage did I count on the track reaching the standards (sorry, sub standards) that it did. It wasn't as though it was a deluge. Just steady heavy drizzle. It wouldn't have been enough to make the Belmont track go from dead to slow. Nor Ascot for that mater! Randwick went from fast on Friday morning to dead 5 on Saturday morning,after some overnight light rain, to heavy 9 on Saturday at 3.30pm. I would love to know at what stage it is called un-raceable if there is such a term? Or indeed if there is a heavier rating?

I don't want to carry on any longer about it as I am likely to say something I will regret or I will be called a whinger again. I will simply say that things here in W.A. are really not as bad as we sometimes make them out to be.

GUYNO has gone back to Melbourne and we will give him the rest of the week to get over the trip and the race. Dion reported this morning that the horse had travelled back well and appeared happy and bright in the eye. Providing he comes up OK we will continue on with him as planned and head towards the Geelong Cup or the Mooney Valley Cup a few days later. I will let the horse and my son tell me over the next week or so which way we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home