HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Tuesday 3 May 2011

A MONTH OR TWO IS A LONG TIME IN RACING!!!

Back in early March whilst sitting in my motel room in Morphetville, I had plenty of time on my hands with only one horse to look after. It gave me the opportunity to sit back and have a good look at events and decisions made within the racing industry by those in charge. I said at the time and I am happy to repeat my thoughts, that as far as being kept up to date and consulted on what were important matters, those with the most at stake seemed to get overlooked when it came to the decision making process.

As the heading suggests, my how things have changed!! And I have to say, changed for the better. I reckon that since the new year, I have been contacted by members of most organisations within the industry to either support what I said or condemn what I said. Others simply to explain and answer questions I had raised. And that is fair enough because I have never professed to know much, let alone all the answers. It wasn't a matter of me feeling important because people were contacting me but simply a case of being pleased that someone was listening. What I have always been concerned with is the lack of either transparency or genuine efforts to keep industry participants informed.

I now have to say that it is with great pleasure and some surprise, that of late, there has been so much constructive dialogue between all parties concerned. I am not taking any credit for this nor am I entitled to however over the past few weeks we have had a Racing Symposium conducted by RWWA and any number of meetings with officials from Perth Racing, all with a keen desire to share information. Even this morning, trainers were invited by RWWA officials to discuss stakes distribution issues for the next season and beyond.

In the past, this has been unheard of! In the past, it was almost an us against them mentality by those in charge and very much a case of treating us all like mushrooms. It is amazing what can be achieved when people can sit down to air their grievances to those who are prepared to not only listen but act on matters raised. It doesn't have to be grievances either. Simply a matter of some information which needs to be shared or an opinion sought on. I can only hope that the same attitude prevails over the coming months and participants continue to be given a proper hearing. If there was one negative to come from it all this morning, it would have to be the lack of trainers who showed enough interest in their own careers and industry to bother going along to hear what was being said. If they can't get interested in important industry issues when they are invited to do so then don't come running to the trainers association for help when times start to get a bit tougher.Granted that the meeting was held at a time not convenient to all but no time ever is. Only five trainers attended. It was obviously a very very bad time.

I can only hope that this mornings open meeting is a sign of things to come where we can all get the opportunity to discuss important industry issues with those in charge with no fear of reprisal for putting forward an opinion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home