HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Sunday 1 July 2007

THIS IS ALSO WHAT RACING IS ALL ABOUT.

Yesterday I went to the races with three runners. I expected them all to run well however I did think that CELT CODE was my best chance in the Belmont Oaks. Even though she was double figure odds I felt she was the one to beat. CELT CODE ran a disappointing race however we have since discovered the reasons why but that is all another story.

Sitting in the trainers stand before the race I couldn't believe the number of people in there. Most of them were young (anyone younger than me qualifies) and most I had never seen at the races before. In fact most were standing up blocking my view from my usual seat and just before I was about to ask them if they could sit down they all did so. I happened to be sitting alongside another trainer who rarely has a city runner and I happened to mention to him that I thought his filly would be very hard to beat if she repeated her last effort. He agreed! I have known of the trainer for many years but only over the past five years or so have we had much to do with each other.

Most mornings at the track we usually have a 20 minute chat mostly about his beloved DOCKERS and my champion EAGLES! The general ribbing and banter is all good fun and at last count, the cartons of Carlton Mids that he has had to produce over the past few seasons, has me a long way in front. He never fails to congratulate me whenever I have won a race whether it be Northam or Ascot. This trainer has trained plenty of winners before but I am not sure how many City winners he has produced. When his filly hit the front halfway down the straight before going on to win the Belmont Oaks, you would have thought we had just witnessed the running of the Melbourne Cup.

The way TED "PUNTER" ROBINSON punched the air after the race, needed to be seen to be believed. The smile on his face suggested there was a lot more to this result than just winning a race. The emotion shared by all those "youngsters" standing up and hugging one another down in those front rows was priceless. This may have been "just the $60,000 Belmont Oaks" to many people but to this ecstatic group of people it was almost like the celebration of life itself.

In all my years of winning races both big and small I have rarely witnessed such emotion and enjoyment. Its a shame there wasn't a movie camera on hand to capture the moment. There would be no need for any race clubs, to ever hire in actors to make those glossy, expensive, yet false film clips we see on telly when they try to promote the Summer or Autumn carnivals. This was real.

I am sure that we all lose sight of exactly what racing is all about sometimes. It is not just about T.A.B. turnover. It's not just about winning strike rates. It's not always about Northerly, Miss Andretti or William Pike. (No disrespect to any of them intended) It's not even about Ratings Based Handicapping or Programming. I am fairly sure TED wouldn't know or care what his filly was rated prior to or after her win. Sometimes it really is just about a job well done. It's days like this that you realise that there are still some true GENTLEMEN in the industry who just love to win a race!

It was a pleasure to give you a lift home after the races TED. I hope you win many more with your filly. I also look forward to taking another carton off you after the next "DERBY".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home