HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Thursday 25 October 2007

BIG STATEMENT

Now I know that you all know me as someone who is inclined to open his mouth from time to time but this time it is not a knock.

I guess due to the spring carnival happening over east and the major stories over the weekend all revolving around the Caulfield Cup, the local scribes may be under stating something that happened out at Ascot on Saturday. That is the successful return to the racetrack of NEW SPICE.

I know it is early days but fair dinkum, if I had the money I would be trying to get a bet on right now about that horse winning the Railway Stakes and Kingston Town Stakes double. Last season, New Spice was the horse which gave me the most concern as I headed towards the Derby with GUYNO. Under 2000m I don't think my horse would get near him. Over 2000m and I think we come into our own a lot more. The performance of New Spice on Saturday was phenomenal, especially considering that he had trialled on Monday and still looked about 25kg overweight. Then again I think any of the Old Spice stock who are any good all tended to race a bit round looking through the barrel.

About three weeks ago after track work one morning, a few of us were standing around discussing the better horses racing in W.A. I recall saying to the boys that the horse I considered the best was New Spice and that if I was training him I would give the owners a written guarantee about him winning the big double. Well I have to say that his current trainer Mrs Elva Van Merwyk, is doing every bit as good if not better job than I or anyone else could do with this horse and I wish her all the best with him. Through an agent I tried very very hard to buy the horse earlier this year without any joy. It is not hard to see why he is not for sale.

I know this may sound like I am talking out my rear end but in my opinion, this horse at his top would beat anything currently racing in W.A. including the outstanding galloper Marasco up to 1800m. I would go further to say that should he ever head east, he will do this state proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home