HomeProfileServicesNewsHorsesFacilitiescontactLou

Luciani Racing News

Lou Luciani is one of the most experienced horse trainers in WA. He offers owners a complete package, from selecting and buying a horse through to agistment, training and racing. He takes care of everything – from organizing horse floats to taking care of paperwork – so that owners can have as much or as little hands-on as they want.

Sunday 16 November 2008

IF THE SHOE FITS??????

There is no doubt in my mind that not only did it fit, it was a very snug and comfortable fit at that!

I refer of course to my wonderful filly MOCCASIN BEND. The filly went to the races at Ascot for the W.A. Guineas yesterday as a genuine chance along side of at least five others.I had stated on Friday that luck would play a big part in determining the eventual winner of the race and in part this was true with the second horse being held up at a crucial stage before the corner. Ive been there on more than one occasion myself.

While there are possibly a few hard luck tales to come out of the race I have no doubt that the ride of jockey Jason Whiting from the ideal barrier draw was indeed a ten out of ten effort. Jason has been my stable rider for longer than I care to remember and one of his greatest attributes apart from loyalty is his complete and utter unflappability in a big race. We understand each other very well and there is rarely a need for any in depth instructions. I have never gone into a big race with Jason on board wondering if he was up to the big occasion. That in itself enables me to relax and stay focused on what I have to do.

MOCCASIN BEND is owned by a very diverse group of mates of mine who were spread around all parts of the globe yesterday. Only one was able to make it to the races while two were at home in Airlie Beach, one was stuck down south in Albany, one was away in New Zealand and another was serving customers at the front bar of his pub up the top of the Cape York Peninsular. After the win it was free drinks for all for the rest of the night at the only watering hole for some 500km.

Over the next few days I will decide whether we have one more start with MOCCASIN BEND or whether she is given a good spell right away. Yesterday was planned to be her grand final however I did nominate her for the Kingston Town Classic just in case. In fact that was the only nomination I have put in for any of the major races over the carnival so yesterdays win was certainly a very timely one. It is not the ideal program to wait another three weeks for the 1800m Gr1 event and the filly would have to show me that she is not feeling the effects of a long campaign for me to go that way with her.

MOCCASIN BEND has now had seven starts this preparation, having a short break of one month between her fourth start and her fifth start. Along the way she has won four races, second once and third twice along with her second at her only race start some twelve months earlier. Not a bad pick up at the local sales a couple of years ago for around $40,000.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home